Friday, November 30, 2012

Candle Mat #2

A friend gifted me this pattern sometime ago and I just never got around to trying it out until today . Funny how things go I was going through some stash when I came across a fat quarter that I thought would be perfect for this candle mat so I proceeded to get things ready . This pattern only requires four charm squares which I thought was kind of cool and wanted to find out how that worked . One thing I am not too crazy about is that this is raw edge applique and maybe if I had one of those fancy rotary cutters with the scalloped edge this would be better as I am not real happy with the edges , however it is what it is but I did come up with a clever way to quilt it. The pattern asks that you quilt   3/4" away from the border triangles , ok I say to myself , how will I do that so it is even ,I know I could take the time to mark it but instead this is what I came up with .
That's right this is painters tape and I very crudely taped it down along the edges of the triangles and then stitched next to the tape and this is what I got.

 Nice even stitching , yippee and took much less time than marking . So here is the completed project ,oh by the way the pattern is called Pinwheel mini Table Treat by Kansas Troubles Quilters .
Although none of these are Christmas prints it does have a Christmas look to it. The lighting is poor today so that binding looks more gray than the green it is .
 Thanks for stopping by and enjoy the day .
 hugs Sheila

14 comments:

  1. I love that candle mat .... so effective... great idea with the painters tape....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delightful mat. Clever you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so cute. I know that Kansas Troubles has several of those round pattern. I have one with a moon on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is lovely!! Good idea with the tape. You are really churning them out!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this mat...and aren't you the wise one to think of the painter's tape! Beautiful little project!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OH..my...this is such a lovely piece..i love it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. HI! THANKS FOR THE NICE COMMENTS ON FLICKR! BOTH PROJECTS WERE SO MUCH FUN TO DO!
    LOVE YOUR BLOG!
    HAPPY STITCHING!

    msstitcher1948@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sheila, it does look like Christmas. I can only imagine how beautiful your home is looking for the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's really neat! Great idea on using the tape and your quilting turned out just right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love your two candle mats!
    they look amazing.
    Very cute feeder. Looks like the birds can read.

    ReplyDelete