Friday, January 29, 2016

A storms a brewing so time to sew

Last week we got away easy with that nasty storm that battered the US , we didn't get a flake , however the same is not true today , we are in for a possible 40 cm of the white stuff with very high winds to blow it around . This all makes for a great reason to sit and sew . Still unable to sew for long periods but it is amazing what you can accomplish in small increments if you plan it right .
 I have all the pinwheels made now for the Frozen panel but not sewn together yet but I am so happy as that is the bulk of the work completed !!
  I signed up for a BOM on SewSheCan and this months block was a bowtie block , I have had this made for a while now but didn't think to share it .
My sister Donna and I are doing this BOM as well as the Craftsy BOM , should be fun . I must be insane as I also signed up for the Splendid Sampler with Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson , a full year of sampler blocks in the small size of 6" , I know I am going to love doing this . Two blocks a week seems doable at least that is what I am telling myself .
 Now to top it all off I bought some fabric through Craftsy just after Christmas in one of their sales and had a plan for one lot of it as soon as I seen it on sale . I had been drooling over a Christmas quilt in  a magazine called Quiltmania the Special winter edition for 2014 and REALLY want to make it so decided this week to start doing some of the stitcheries involved with this project . Want to see ?
 Sure you do , you are likely saying what is this one up to now .
Three of the blocks had embroidery so I figured while I am sitting watching TV I should make use of that time and get those completed . I am so loving this , lots of reds and browns in this quilt , now I know you want to see what the rest of the quilt will look like so here is a picture from the magazine .

 This  is simply called Merry Christmas and is designed by Jenelle Kent and made by Cathy Stone .  I have just the spot I want to hang this quilt which measures at 56"x56" or I think it will fit . If I am not too late Sharon I would like to consider this project a Lets Book it project . I will work on this as time allows and so glad I have several months before I actually need to have it finished :-)

So you can see I have not been idle , slower than normal but far from idle . I am off now to the machine to start sewing some pinwheels together so I would like to say to those close by , stay safe and warm during the storm and don't go out unless absolutely necessary .
 Thanks for stopping by today , always a pleasure to see you .
 hugs Sheila

22 comments:

  1. It is hard to resist those BOM's isn't it? Love your Xmas pattern. And you are right this is a wonderful day to be inside playing with fabric. happy stitching Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There seems to be a lot sampler BOMs this year. I signed up for Splendid, too - 6" blocks whip up fast and great for eating scraps. By all means, use this project for Let's Book It - I remember seeing that quilt - My Mom must have that magazine or maybe it was one of our students. Use it for each month as long at you need to finish up - great project.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful post to read. Lots of inspiration and glad that you are taking it easy and sewing in small increments of time. We are watching movies while the snow falls! Love that Christmas quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Sheila! So glad you have been making some progress with your sewing projects. I love that Christmas quilt... it is going to look beautiful! I have signed up for all sorts of things this year... including the Splendid Sampler.... I just hope I can keep up with them all! Have a lovely weekend... keep nice and warm! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Slow and steady wins the race, Sheila. Sewing in small increments of time means more thoughtful organization. Your projects are lovely. Molokai at you joining all those BOMs! Wish I had your motivation! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find it hard not to sign up for BOM's too!!! Love the Christmas quilt you are doing. Good to hear you are going slowly and looking after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I won't join BOMs......I don't lack for projects without them! Some quiet stitching will be just the thing as you heal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yep, the perfect sewing day with no other excuse needed. I know first hand how little bits of play time can eventually accumulate into progress. Sounds like and looks like a whole bunch of goodness coming from your house.

    ReplyDelete
  9. you are doing well with your projects. Love the Christmas quilt. i got sucked in with the Splendid Sampler & signed up. :) Only BOM i'm doing though. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Christmas quilt is going to be gorgeous! Stay dry, stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yiou sound well set up for the flurry of snow! lovely projects as always

    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like bow tie blocks, they are just fun to make! That's great that you are sign d up for different things that will challenge you to finish blocks. Have fun sewing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the Christmas quilt. No wonder you couldn't resist.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love what you have been working on. Sewing sounds perfect to wait out the frosty weather. I am glad you are able to do some sewing. Take care and stay warm x

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the look of that Christmas quilt Sheila - I am being a little less ambitious, especially as I have a new projects ban - and am just planning a table runner to use some of my Christmas fabrics! Hope the storm was kind to you and that you made good use of your sewing time. xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. That finished quilt is going to be wonderful, I'll be looking forward to seeing the progress on the Let's Book It link up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very ice quilt Sheila....your blocks look fun! We got a little bit of messy snow through the night again. But going to bravery mild week. I am off to Moncton later today, to stay with my grandson for the week.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I don't think you'd know how to be idle, even if you were tied down to a chair. We did have quite the storm and it's good to see you have so many wonderful projects on the go.

    ReplyDelete
  19. How nice to see you lively and productive!
    Around much heat and some rain which is always good. Our yard was again very green. We love it. The lack of rain last summer was frightening.
    We also have many visitors because it is the holiday season. Thus my machines are stopped and only visit my hands to prepare food and clothes to put in the washer. :)))
    Good embroidery!
    A big, warm hug!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lovely work, stay warm
    Clare x

    ReplyDelete
  21. For someone who can't sew much you are sure doing a lot! That Christmas quilt will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like a great project, I'm so disappointed they aren't publishing that series any longer. I'll have to look and see if I got that one. I found it very hit and miss finding them. I subsumed and got s subscription for both Simply Vintage and Simply Moderne. Waiting for the first ones to arrive, ordered back editions of those I could get.

    ReplyDelete