Friday, February 12, 2016

A finish and some things need to percolate :-)

Good afternoon all , it is sunny and very cold here today and we are waiting for yet another storm to come to our area tomorrow , seems it happens on the weekends this year .
 First off I want to share a finish , it has been a while since I have had any . This quilt I am about to share is also in my header but it is on the frames at the church being quilted , well during my absence they finished my quilt and I have since finished sewing down the binding which thankfully I had sewn on before taking it out to be quilted .


My pinwheel quilt , a collection of blocks from an exchange with the girls I quilt with on Tuesdays plus I added the center block which is actually meant to be a wall hanging but these little colourful pinwheels reminded me so much of whirligigs that I decided to do a garden theme . The pattern name is Market Angel incase you are interested by Nellie Holmes. Here is a close up of the center .
I just love the cross hatching they did in this block , really makes it pop !! Thanks girls for all your great work , I couldn't be happier with it .
 Now for the second part of my title , percolate , yes somethings need to percolate before being worked on again . This project was offered by Melody of the House on the Side of the Hill a few years back ,more than I want to admit :-0  The strange thing is I had almost finished it when it was set aside  , all the applique pieces had been ironed on and most had been stitched down . So I am sure you want to see just what I am talking about .

It is really quite large and I think so pretty , I can't imagine why it has taken me so long to dig it out . I just have two letters left to applique and I need to add some details to the snowman plus I'd like to add a few flowers here and there . Thanks to Melody for this amazing pattern ,I can't wait to finish it now and since it is on my UFO list at the guild I do have an extra push to complete it ;-0

 One last thing before I go , You know I love the birds , well last week I had the most amazing view of a hawk , I love these birds and don't often see them perched in a tree so I grabbed my camera and zoomed in as much as possible and this is what I got .
The crows were really bothering him so he eventually took flight but I couldn't capture that . I will also share this photo that my granddaughter Nila took on the weekend when they were here for a sleep over . Nila and Elise both are into nature and part of the 4H group in their area so they both took turns with my camera trying to capture the little birds at our feeder .
This is a pine sisken , a very tiny little bird who loves the sunflower seeds as well as nyger seeds , See the little yellow band on the wings , that is so pretty when they fly . I think she did a wonderful job on this photo I didn't even crop it .

 So I am off now and I thank you for stopping by this afternoon , enjoy your day doing something creative and fun , it will make your soul very happy .
 hugs Sheila

18 comments:

  1. Sheila, your quilt is gorgeous - beautiful! Well done! Your percolating project is certainly fun too. Good bird pics - we have quite a selection of birds here but they move so quickly, they are hard to photograph.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I noticed right away - your new header! This quilt does quite pop off the page - and beautifully quilted. We are in for a sub-zero weekend and I don't plan on going any where' we've been lucky in missing out on the heavy snow storms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Two lovely finishes and such a delightful little bird. Have a wonderful weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheila, both your projects are stunning! The pinwheel quilt is gorgeous, with those bright colours and that wonderful centre. Your wooly finish is darling as well! Such a talented gal you are. Stay warm and cosy tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the storm coming isn't too bad for you. Keep safe. We are heading for 31 d C today, good beach weather!! Love your quilt, the pinwheels look amazing and the centre is great. The quitling is fantastic too. You percolating project looks interesting too. Great bird pictures...I am sure the birds appreciate the seed you put out for them when it is so cold.

    ReplyDelete

  6. What a great finish, well done!
    Great to see your wool appliqué getting finished, melody's sew along was a lovely pattern.
    It feels good to clear out ufos

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous quilt Sheila. The ladies did a wonderful job of quilting it. Love the mat. I dug out another ufo of mine am determined to get it done. I only had 3 blocks left to embroider. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. A very pretty finish! I like that you added your own special touch to the center. The weather took a turn out here too, -39C this morning!! Stay toasty ")

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow. We are hitting 39 C. HOT.. Can't imagine it sooo cold

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful finish! Doesn't it feel great to tick one off the list. It is so pretty. The pinwheel is one of my top favourite blocks. I don't think I have ever seen one of those cute little siskens. Great shot.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh your quilt is beautiful. I can just imagine it being quilted. Love your project of Mels too. Very sweet birdies x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your beautiful finished quilt Sheila! Such pretty colours and the centre panel is lovely. I like you UFO too and I hope you get it completed! Hope you are tucked in nice and warm when the storm comes! Very pretty bird photos too! Have a lovely weekend! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've made a gorgeous quilt! And your Home Sweet Home is wonderful. Those bird photos are really great.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nice birds you show to us. I don't know their names in German and had to translate me. And I find out that the nice pine sisken only lives in North America.
    And I love your pinwheel quilt very much. The powerful colours and lovely quilting. It looks so nice.
    Waving greetings in the morning across the ocean from Lari

    ReplyDelete
  15. Well done on a gorgeous finish Sheila - it looks very cheery! I remember Melody's project, always wish I'd started it but never did.... your's is looking great. Lovely bird pics, too; it's always neat to see different birds from around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely quilt. I like how you combined the panel and the pin wheel blocks. I hope you are feeling better. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely adore the pinwheel quilt. I have far too many quilts that have been sitting for far too many years. Sometimes we just need to be in the right frame of mind to work on them or life gets in the way. I'm looking forward to seeing the finish for the House on the Hill quilt.

    ReplyDelete