Saturday, May 6, 2017

FNWF Report and a flimsy

You won't see much progress here but for me it is significant,  I have now attached the last two pieces of backing to the quilt , I worked on it on Thursday evening as well as Friday evening plus I did some quilting on it . I ran out of the fabric I had used to back my blocks so this back is a mishmash of fabric , a girl has to do what a girl has to do to finish things ,right 😉
Since I had never done this before it was completely guess work and a lot of praying too .So far so good , it seems to be right . Here is another look at the front , a more detailed look at my hand quilting which still has a way to go .
The colours are a little off here but it will give you a general idea of what my scrappy BOM looks like. I need someone to light a fire under me to get this quilted before the end of the month , oh my not so sure it will happen but the sky won't fall if I don't so I am really not stressing over it , honest .
 Now today I got to work on my star quilt I had done as a block a week with Darlene of  Needle Pulling Thread quilt shop last year . It just wasn't big enough so I came up with this brilliant plan to do a zigzag border , well in reality it wasn't all that brilliant,  it was a challenge but the results are worth all the times I took it apart , yep , three times lucky lol . My friend Janice helped me last weekend while on the retreat to make the turn so the zigzag would continue around the corner . We thought we had it all figured out but it turns out I needed another full unit to make it fit . This old broad does have a brain that works now and then she just doesn't use it often enough when it comes to math . Taking a picture of my progress really helped keep things in line and eventually the light bulb came on , whew !
 
There you have it , I am super happy with how it has turned out and so relieved it actually fit together.  
I am off now to have supper,  hope you have enjoyed your day and did something creative . Thanks to Cheryll for hosting FNWF , I really enjoy stitching along with you all . Thanks for stopping by .
 Hugs Sheila 

16 comments:

  1. Great job! Math is not my forte, either. I work it all out, and then start sewing, and it never comes out right. Fortunately, my quilty sil is a math genius. NOw get busy quilting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your scrappy BOM is looking great. Love the star quilt, so beautiful. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate working out finer details for blocks, always yell for my mum to come help!
    Lovely stars and your guild quilt looks so pretty, patching for the back doesn't hurt.
    Love the variety of projects in your previous post. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are right, you have to do what you have to do, and anyway who knows what you had planned for the back!! The quilt looks wonderful and I love the stars quilt, math is always a challenge for me too, I go off on an idea and then putting it together becomes a big challenge!! The Star quilt colours are very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have done a great job with the border. It really matches the centre.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that the challenges make quilting fun. I love the border. It' s a beautiful star quilt. Your sampler looks good, too. Two thumbs up:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. sounds like a bit of self imposed sort of deadline there??? haha. It does help to get things done. I struggle also working out measurements and things - the new quilt looks great...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sheila awesome job my friend,well done.xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am not a good workerouterer either. That's why I love applique on big blocks lol! I love both your quilts.....the stars are lovely xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Big job, Sheila...looking great. Love the last quilt too

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your doing well at organising your quilt. Never an easy job...enjoy your quilting..
    Lovely Star Quilt Sheila.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lovely flimsy with the zigzag border and your BOM is looking great. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks perfect to me! And very pretty! Wow, that zig zag border really makes that quilt! It was worth the effort! XO

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with Karen about the zig zag border. It's a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the star quilt! It is a beauty!! Your math worked out just fine in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your star quilt is gorgeous - well worth the effort to get the borders working right!!! Lovely quilting on your BOM - good luck with your goal of a finish soon :-)

    ReplyDelete