Monday, December 11, 2017

Christmas is just around the corner

Can you believe this year is almost over and Christmas is just two weeks away , how did that all happen ?
November was not a great month for me ,  first off my knee was acting up so I had to have a cortisone shot , then my go to machine a 20 year old pfaff decided it had enough , I cried a little that day , I love that machine then just a few days after that we had a flood . We decided to change our internet provider and the young chap who was doing the installation hit a waterline in the wall and there was water everywhere . I don't know who panicked more , me or him . After a phone call to my hubby we found the shut off valve which was a huge relief . It totally ruined the flooring in one room , the other areas have ceramic  so no damage . However we did have a restoration company come and had dehumidifiers and huge fans going all that weekend . So needless to say I am glad November is over.
 Now did I do any sewing last month , yes of course , that keeps me sane or close 😉 . My first accomplishment was completing the Splendid Sampler quilt top , it will take a while before it is quilted as I plan on having it hand quilted.  This photo shows it before I added the last two borders but I don't have a more recent photo to share .
I added a narrow red border then a wide blue border which really compliments the rest of the quilt . I am so glad I stuck it out and finished this top , there were times when I thought I needed my head examined lol . 
 I have been busy making Christmas gifts but haven't photographed too many of those but here are a couple of pillows I made for my granddaughters using some blocks I had made a few years back as part of a Bom with Raspberry Rabbits .

I think the girls will like them , they are such cute little rabbits . 
 I have started the mystery quilt by Bonnie Hunter , hmm, am I crazy or what , perhaps so , but it is something I have wanted to do each year she announces her mystery so this year I decided was the year to have a go . Now there is a ton of work in these quilts I have discovered but I am okay with that as it isn't a race and I don't plan on keeping up each week although I may have tried if it wasn't so close to Christmas. I did manage to get the first clue as well as the second clue completed but when the third clue came out on Friday I decided it was in the best interest of my health to just leave that until after all my Christmas sewing is done. 
Here is my stack of the first clue , I guess I didn't take one of the second one so will share that later on,I will just tell you it involves a lot of flying geese blocks  . I am being really good and only using what fabrics I have on hand and the best part is I am using some realllllly old fabrics that have been around since making dresses for my granddaughters.  This will be a very scrappy quilt , my favorite kind .

 I am doing a curved piecing workshop in January so I decided I should refresh myself on this technique and I stitched up a couple of landscapes.  Here is one to show you what I did .
Such fun 😊
 Well thanks for the visit,  I hope your holiday preparations are coming along well and you are enjoying the process . 
 Hugs Sheila 

16 comments:

  1. Sheesh....it sounds crazy there. Your BH blocks look great as does the sampler blocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your Splendid Sampler, just beautiful. The cushions are very cute. Love the landscape. Hugs, xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. The sampler is just spectacular! And I do so admire your talent with the minis, beautiful landscape.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That Splendid Sampler quilt is simply...well...splendid! I look forward to seeing it finished in person! Love that you are using what you have to make your Christmas gifties and the mystery quilt. Your grandies will absolutely adore their pillows, and there’s nothing better than a scrappy quilt made with love! I wish I was there to take your workshop. We’ll have to discuss bringing you up to my neck of the woods to give one when I return! I know where you can get free lodging! And good company! 😉

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Sheila. Great to hear fromyou but sorry that your knee has been playing up again. Your landscape panel is beautiful and the SS is amazing - I love your sashing. Lots of people doing the Bonnie Hunter - your colours are gorgeous. Enjoy your Christmas preparations. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fabulous projects you have! Love your Splendid Sampler...gorgeous! Your pillows are precious and will be loved! As to the latest mystery...beautiful 9-patches! I was tempted when I saw the first part...love those colours! And your landscape is stunning...you are so talented. Sorry to hear about your month of November...hope December is much better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've been very busy! Great work on the Splendid Sampler. I tend to start projects like that and never finish them. Hope you're feeling better by now!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sheila wow love your splendid sampler it looks fantastic and how cute are those bunny cushions,the girls will love them,hope you have a lovely day my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. iso good to hear from you... oh dear sorry about the flooding...its such a nuisance isn't it? Thank goodness we have our sewing.... Hope your knee is a whole lot better. I love the cushions you made and your Splendid Sampler looks wonderful and hand quilting will be a huge effort but so worth it...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful projects as always Sheila! I wish I was close enough to take your class! Love your Splendid Sampler quilt and I adore the bunny cushions too! Hope you and your family have the most wonderful Christmas! Christine xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love how you have turned those spare blocks ito cushions - I'm sure the girls will love them! Sorry to hear that November was such a tough month - I do hope that December is a happier one for you. Your Splendid Sampler looks amazing - I do like how you have sashed it. Your mystery blocks look lovely - I've never taken part - often thought it would be fun but I'm not sure when I would fit it in...sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Sheila,
    I'm so sorry-water flowing in your house is so tough to deal with!! I'm glad that you were able to find the shut off valve. Sorry too about your sewing machine, we spend so much time with them they are like dear friends to us. Is a new one on the horizon? Lovely projects all around, and your landscape quilt is simply wonderful.
    Merry Christmas to you and your loved ones,
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Well done on finishing your splendid sampler!! That is a fantastic effort. I hope December is being a better month for you than November and that your knee is behaving. Love the cushions you have made, that is a great way of using blocks. Good luck with the mystery quilt, your landscape is stunning. Happy Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gee sheila I didn't realise it had been sew long since your last post...

    ReplyDelete