Sunday, September 8, 2013

What's on my design wall today

It is a rainy Sunday and I promised my granddaughters I would make this wall hanging for them so I figured this was the perfect day to start. Want to see ?

This adorable scarecrow caught my eye immediately when I opened the fall edition of Quilting Celebrations by Fons and Porter , I knew I would have to make it . Well I will warn anyone who wants to make this , the pattern is not correct in the magazine, I am not too happy right now, I cut and sewed my background fabrics and then cut and assembled the scarecrow only to find they do not fit , not even close. I thought first I could sort of overlap the lettering but then when I tried to place all the scarecrow pieces on the assembled background , they were also much too large .  It surprised me a little as most times when I have made things from these publications they were just fine but I will also warn you about one in the newest publication the Christmas magazine , there is a mistake on the candle as well . I am thankful I found some blue in my fabric stash that was large enough to use in place of what I had previously sewn , it isn't what I wanted to use but I certainlyt did not want to go buy more fabric and I was able to peel off the lettering and reiron those on the new piece . I still love him even though at this point he was way more work than I bargained for . Now to do all that applique . That's it for me today I just thought I should share this info incase someone is reading this and was about to start this project , the background size should actually be 21.5"x 30.5" for the blue and the brown is 21.5"x5". Thanks for stopping by and have a great day .
 Hugs Sheila 

15 comments:

  1. He's awfully cute! Not nice to have mistakes in patterns. I have encountered that a few times.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is adorable! I think you should become a pattern tester...pattern designers would benefit with your expertise!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is sweet. Too bad you had to waste fabric. It's disappointing when a pattern is wrong; that's the one area that the editors should get right.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sheila. Both those are on my "do" list. You are an experienced sewer and frustrated by the mistakes . And you could recover. Imagine a beginner. Unfortunately many patterns are inaccurate.
    He is cute though. Your girls will love him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A very cute scarecrow. I hate when i find mistakes in patterns. Happens all to much. Hugs,xx.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is so sweet. They will love him!

    ReplyDelete
  7. he's a very lovely scarecrow....
    so frustrating not to have the right sizein the pattern ....
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you were able to figure out a solution. Too bad they don't have really good proofreaders.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You recovered nicely and your grand daughters will love it. I don't mean to be disagreeable but I just checked the Fons and Porter website and Patrick has corrected the sizes even a little larger than what you suggested. Wiggle room, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  10. a perfect wall hanging for fall/ the girls will love it
    in stitches

    ReplyDelete
  11. How frustrating to have to fix patterns.....but your Scarecrow does look gorgeous and your GDs will lov him.

    ReplyDelete
  12. very cute pattern, shame it hasn't been straight forward!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sheila thanks for letting us know. I already bought the Christmas issue and I want to actually make everything in it. Lol. Did you contact the magazine?
    The scarecrow does look awesome. Thank goodness you had not fused it down.

    ReplyDelete