Wednesday, June 13, 2012

WIP Wednesday

Wednesday is half over and I am just getting around to posting , you see I was off to lunch today with a few friends and oh it was delicious but I was so hungry by the time the meal came I think anything would taste good :-)
 I don't have a lot of progress this week but I will show you the little I have done. I sat out on my deck on Monday and did the handwork on my Home Sweet Home Penny Rug that is a free BOM by Melody of the House on the side of the Hill
Here is the full penny rug as it looks now ,I'll show you what I just finished up.
I did the applique and added the leaves in different shades , yellow, gold, red and even some brown. I am really pleased with how this is all coming together .
 I also did a little embroidery this week , I enjoy doing red work and love the newest Friday Freebie from Kaaren of the Painted Quilt so traced it off and now have it finished and I am trying to decide if I want it framed or made into a pincushion as she suggests.

Last evening I did this little tag , kind of cute and I have plans on making a few more of these , sorry I can't think of where I got this pattern .
Have any of you tried the new frixion pens to transfer patterns ? Well I bought one a little while ago and decided to give it a try to trace off these little stitcheries , I love the fine line it produces and the fact it doesn't disappear , well at least as long as you don't decide to iron it .Yep , I had this santa all traced off and then thought about the fact I had not put any interfacing on the back so promptly got the interfacing cut and ironed it on , turned the piece over and nothing there , I knew that fact about these pens but completely forgot .So what did I do you say , well I learned another fact about these pens and that is if you put it in the cold the markings reappear so into the freezer it went and sure enough when I took it out there was all my markings , maybe a little duller but still very useable and I was thankful as there were two stitcheries that I had traced and the second one is much more detailed and I didn't want to have to redo it.
This is the pen I am speaking about and I would highly recommend them and no I am in no way affiliated with them but if they want to send me a whole truck load I would accept them ;-)
 I am linking today with the Needle and Thread Network , be sure to pay them a visit , lots of wonderful work to see . Thanks for stopping by and have yourself a wonderful day .
 hugs Sheila

18 comments:

  1. What wonderful projects you're sharing today! Love those little stitcheries and laughed at your story about the frixion pens. I use them to make straight lines on labels so my writing is not crooked...they work like a charm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very busy bee! Such nice handwork. I so love those dainty quilts hanging on the line of that BOM...so nice! Love, love, love your redwork...I really have to get back to mine...thanks for the kick! As for the friction pens....I have them but I am afraid to use them....maybe I will give it a go...I only use them to correct my students' papers ;).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely projects. your penny rug is looking great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your redwork is amazing! The stitching is perfect. I love the Frixion pen too and I also forgot to remember not to apply heat after tracing an applique pattern on a 14" block!. I just wanted to get a wrinkle out...and then goodbye lovely traced pattern!

    ReplyDelete
  5. love the redwork Sheila...but the wool is my favorite; always...adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The penny rug looks great. I too have used those frixon pens & forgot about not ironing them. Luckily for me i knew about the freezer part. Another blogger had done the same thing a few days before i did & had posted about it. :) Haven't used it since as i like to iron on my fashion fuse after i trace out my pattern. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  7. your bom is looking great... I love the effect on the dark background... and such sweet stitcheries... red work is so pretty... and yes, I have done the same with the pens.... I am always putting fabric in the freezer... in fact I think I need to add a freezer to my sewing room necessary equipment!! I use it lots to make my quilting lines ....watch out on some darker fabric - it can give a slight bleached effect...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  8. love your wool work I still have not tried that ... might have to look for a kit to get started with. I'll have to look for a pen llike that you never know when it will come in handy.
    in stitches

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sheila, I love how your penny rug is looking, gorgeous little quilts. And the stitcheries are lovely too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nice toknow about those pens and the trick with hot and cold... as soon as you mentioned the cold they might make fun labels on a winter jacket - well at leaset the first time the wearer went outside... The penny rug is begining to look quite intricate...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of frixion pens. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. They sound great. I'll have to look for them next time I'm out.
    Do you normally interface your redwork fabric? I've not tried that before. Or do you do it because you don't like hoops? (I assume since you don't like to quilt with a hoop).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh....I love love your first project, that is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The Penny Rug is looking great...
    Lovely Stichery's too.
    LOL I have done that with that pen as well...
    It is really good to draw a pattern on your quilt too.
    Oh where did you get the little tag stitchery please???

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sheila, I forgot to ask you last night. Have you tried the Sulky Transfer pens? You can make your own iron on transfers with them. They sound neat but are expensive, 8 are around $30.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it great that bloggers are so generous to share designs with us. Really great ones.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your work is lovely. I love red work embroidery so I must take a peek at that link you posted. I have one of those pens but I haven't used it as yet:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. That tree alone makes me drool - and thanks for writing about those pens, I had been wondering whether to get them.

    ReplyDelete