Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tuesdays Treasures and Sudoku

Since I was a very young girl I have been sewing , my Mom was always sewing and passed on her love of the craft and taught myself and my two sisters to sew , so I have many fond memories of sewing doll clothes etc. and as a teenager made my own clothes because I didn't want to wear the same things everyone else did , a rebel  I guess I was . Anyway my treasures today are things I remember using in those days , such as these great wooden spools of thread , Mom still has some but these I bought from an old country store when they were going to tear it down . The thread holder which is also old I bought at a yard sale a long time ago for no more than $1 and I love it .
Notice the black spool on the bottom of this rack , it is a different shape and is heavier weight thread too . The green spool next to that is really lovely thread and I have actually used that for thread painting at one time , lovely feel to that . Here is a side view of this cute little thread rack .
I just have to share this little scotty dog too , I pulled the tongue out just a little to show you it is a tape measure , Mom also had one very similar to this not sure if she still has it and I don't remember where I picked this up but it is rather cute . Next to it is a leather sewing case , quite old and again I don't remember where I got it but likely in a box of items at an auction , I use to go all the time and bid on anything relating to sewing ;-) My treasures today are old sewing notions I just love them .  To see more treasures be sure to stop off and visit with Melody at
The house on the Side of the Hill 

Now to show you what a Sudoku Quilt looks like , well first I will say that no two would be a like as each puzzle is different and each person would likely use different fabrics and colours but this is how mine turned out , now to get it quilted in time for Christmas , think I can do it?
 It is 52.5" square and is made entirely with flannel and of course I will use flannel on the back as well . Take note that no block is the same , each color lands in a different spot in each block , not sure I have explained that well but if you take your solved puzzle and assign each colour a number and place that number in the appropriate place in each block you will have solved the sudoku quilt puzzle .It would be fun to make these for friends and as was suggested at our meeting you could make the puzzle that was in the newspaper on the day of the persons birthday or anniversary or whatever and I think this would also be fun baby quilt or even an I spy type of quilt . Lots of possibilities and really easy to make , it is basically a nine patch the only difference is you are following a grid with more colors than is usually in a nine patch . Hope this inspires others to try this out I know you will enjoy making it!
Thanks for stopping by and enjoy your day . Hugs Sheila

15 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for joining in Tuesday Treasures this week. Your sewing doggy and cotton reels are charming. I love your quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Sudoku quilt is so cute! I don't have the patience to do the puzzles but I sure would make this quilt. I like all your oldies..I have some old wooden thread spools that I have saved from my grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have some lovely things there Sheila, real collectors pieces. Your quilt looks lovely and I'm sure you will manage to finish before Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. love your treasures!
    Your quilt has turned out perfectly. I love the blue border, really sets off the other fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love you treasures. The little dog is so cute. The quilt looks great. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your thread holder is so sweet as si your scotty dog. Lovley treasures Sheila. Lovley quilt too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Catching up on reading today.... lots of loveliness to look at at your place.... I enjoy Soduko so I should do one of these...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice treasure from the past Sheila. Love the dog tape measure,,, I'd just sit and play with HIM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing Sheila! I love the Sudoku quilt! What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, wooden spools. Like you, I grew up sewing, learning from my mom and my aunt. And when I was a teenager, every summer my cousin and I would make matching outfits of some kind and my aunt would help us decide and take us fabric shopping. Back then we called the fabric "material" or "cloth" but that seems to be frowned upon in some quilting/sewing circles these days. Anyway, I'm so glad my mom taught me how to sew and I cherish those times. Thanks for bringing back the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your treasures are lovely and your quilt is gorgeous. Pretty colours and fabrics too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing about your neat notion finds. I love finding vintage sewing notions. You're right, they do bring back great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have wooden spools that I inherited from my mom and my mother in law. My mother had a thread holder like that too but hers was homemade. Thanks for bringing up the memories.

    ReplyDelete