Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Tuesdays Treasures

 My treasure for today is a new treasure but I really wanted to share it with you as it was a gift from our son Rob and his family. Rob just returned from a month in Nunavut  relieving one of the officers , Rob is an RCMP officer and this was his first time in the north and he loved the experience . Every night there was a local artist at his door trying to sell him a carving they had done and he did buy a few and this is the one he bought for us . I love it!
I have always been fascinated by Inukshuk's  ,anyway this is carved from one rock and you will notice at the very bottom some markings , well that is Nunavut in their language .Rob said there are large Inukshuk's  everywhere as they guide the local people to find their way home , each one has a special meaning . Rob really enjoyed learning about the ways of these fascinating people and found them to be very friendly .
 We had a really wonderful visit this past weekend , a short one but still so nice and the great part was our youngest son Chad and his family also arrived on Sat. so we had a house full and it was truly wonderful. They are also my treasures today , my son's , their wife's and my wonderful grandchildren , we had five of them here  .
 Enjoy your Tuesday and if you have a special treasure you would like to share or just to see what others are sharing , hop on over to visit with sweet Melody at The house on the side of the Hill  and thanks so much for stopping by.
 Hugs Sheila

7 comments:

  1. Wow, that is really an interesting and beautiful carving. I've never seen anything like that before. I am going to have to look up "Nunavut" and "Inukshuk" to get more information on them!

    I'm so happy that you had a wonderful weekend with your family. I agree that family are our most important treasures!

    Have a great day, my friend!

    XOXO,

    Cyndi

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a great visit with your family; Sheila. Nothing beats that! The carving is lovely; I also like the Inukshuk...they fascinate me. and I love soap stone; I think that is what that is?? It just has a richness that says it is part of nature...

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the soap stone carving. I have always thought that the Inukshuk's where interesting and how they use them....... interesting it helped your son and family find their way home too .... glad to hear that you all had a good visit

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your new treasure. It's really beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How very interesting. So glad you shared it....I will have to look it up too. Is it the same sort of thing as the one in the Winter games? I agree family are real treasure and I am so glad you had a lovely visit with them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely little inukshuk! And good to hear he enjoyed his visit to the north.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pleased that you had a wonderful time with your family Sheila... they are indeed 'treasures'...
    P.s. I will too have to look up 'Nunavut' and 'Inukshuk'!!

    ReplyDelete