Thursday, January 14, 2016

A little progress

Although slow I have made a little progress , I do have to listen to my body and stop when things tighten up but I have managed to do a little sewing for a few minutes at a time . First off some hand sewing , I had started this little stitchery quite a while before Christmas but never did finish it so thought I would be ahead of the game for next year and get it finished . Not finished yet but I do see a light at the end of the tunnel .



You know since I broke my wrist almost two years ago now I find my stitches are not as good or even , don't seem to have the same control but I am ok with that . I also started and finished another little stitchery , this was in a magazine my friend Dianne had given to me ,Better Homes and Gardens Quilts and More winter edition . I fell in love with it immediately so went about cutting up my small pieces of reds by hand and started basting hexies and stitching the stitchery that goes with it . Here is my work in progress .
The stitchery is finished and the 46 hexies are ready to be stitched together , my next job but one I do enjoy :-) Thanks Dianne for the great magazine , so many really cute projects but I was especially eager to do this handwork .
My sister Donna and I along with my friend Annette are going to do the Craftsy BOM for 2016 , this will be Donna's first Bom , she is not new to sewing but new to quilting and very enthusiastic about starting this quilt , if you haven't seen it you should check it out , you may want to join us too . Over the period of several days I managed to cut and sew the blocks for this month which consist of 15 hour glass blocks and a border . The first thing I did was venture into our local fabric shop which was not easy to say the least but I spent as little time as possible as standing for long periods is not good  but I needed a large print for my border so I could choose fabrics to coordinate for the rest of the quilt . My plan is to use as much of my present stash to make this quilt as possible and I did manage to find a few fqs on hand that worked so here is my block so far . I think this will be a fun project and I look forward to seeing what Donna and Annette come up with .

 Now I am a sucker for BOM's I will readily admit that and even my best efforts not to join in are not good so even in my present state of not being able to sew for very long periods I decided to join Darlene of a Needle Pulling Thread FB page  in her one block a week , crazy or what , probably ,but we will see if I can keep up . Only two weeks have gone by so far and I didn't join until this week so had to play catch up , here are my blocks ..

I won some fqs last year called Line Dried by Connecting Threads and I decided they would work for this project , they remind me of my grandmothers aprons or housedresses she wore and this is a traditional block so I think that works !
 So you see even though sewing is not real comfortable I am doing what I can to remain positive and try to heal without over doing it . 
 Yesterday we had a storm , around 20cm. of the white stuff which today is being blown around but I have to admit it sure is pretty , so white and undisturbed at this time . I do love some things about winter , its beauty being at the top of that list , the cold at the bottom .
 Thanks for stopping by today , I hope you have a great day and do something creative .
hugs Sheila

19 comments:

  1. lovely post Sheila and I'm glad to hear slowly you are getting better and some small sewing goals sounds like a good idea... the snow does look so lovely...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have gotten off to a good start , one stitch at a time

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have gotten off to a good start , one stitch at a time

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your hand-stitching! You've got the right attitude- a little at a time. Don't overdo it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're doing great! Hope you continue to feel better and better. The snow looks lovely. Glad I'm not there;)! XO

    ReplyDelete
  6. So nice to see you back and able to do a little sewing and stitching! Love those star blocks! I have been thinking of doing this as well. Maybe I'll start and play catch up tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sheila oh i think your stitching is wonderful Sheila and boy i love your last pic of the snow,beautiful,i hope you have a wonderful day my friend xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good to hear from you. I was going to email you tonight and see how you were doing. Glad things are getting better. One day at a time. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad you are taking things slowly and managing a little stitching. Take care xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice work Sheila - I am intrigued about the hexie project as the stitching is gorgeous. Have just been to visit Annette so have seen her hour glass block - looking forward to following your progress. Anyway, pleased to hear that you are slowly improving - sending lots of love and hugs. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. So sorry to hear that you fell and injured yourself Sheila.... I must have missed your post about that while I was away! Glad you are starting to feel a bit better and have some projects to work on! They all look lovely and I shall look forward to watching how they progress! Keep warm with all that snow! Christine x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Slow progress is still progress. Looking forward to seeing how those lovely hexies come together with your stitchery.
    Great to find a project to help with some stash busting and you new stars are so pretty too.
    Good luck keeping up, one block a week sounds manageable.
    Love the snow pics.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like your new header Sheila..lovely to have a few projects to work n while you are recuperating...take care.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your stitchery projects look great, looking forward to seeing what you do with those hexies. Take things slowly and look after yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ouch, Sheila! Take it easy (as my husband says, hasten slowly) and enjoy your slow sewing. That's a lovely picture of your snow, after the heatwaves we've been having lately it looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the stitchery projects. I looked at the star bom but decided not to do it. :) I was going to do her Churn Dash one last year but i never got it started. Hugs,xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. The stitching is such a great past time while healing. The new snow does look so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Step by step the traveler travels long way. Patience and determination and you'll be new to other hikes.
    You did beautiful work.
    I'm rooting for you!
    A big hug, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I missed your last post - so sorry to hear of your fall and hope you heal quickly. It's good to see you are managing a little sewing and also listening to your body :-) Your stars are lovely and the stitching very cute. I looked at the Craftsy BOM thinking it would be fun to do...cool to be doing it in the company of others. Beautiful snow photos, 20 cm in one hit sounds like a lot!!

    ReplyDelete