Sunday, February 12, 2012

What I have been up to !

Our little neck of the woods had a rain storm yesterday , lots and lots of heavy rain fall which eventually turned to snow overnight and everything in sight is now ice . We have a couple of lovely ice rinks in the field , makes me wish I could go skating ;-0
 Now for a little sewing report , first off my friend Annette of In Stitches and Seams  was kind enough to send me a pattern for this sweet candle mat and I finally got around to making it .It was fun to sew and I am pleased with how it has turned out .
Now when you are making this project you use a  template to cut the shapes and therefore  there are some scraps leftover so rather than tossing them or even setting them aside to do later I immediately sewed them together as I cut them and had enough to make this little mugrug ,just need to sew down the binding.
If you will notice  I even practised my FMQ , didn't venture into the feathers that are the feature this month but did the leaves and they turned out not half bad .
 I must tell you that Annette of In Stitches and Seams is having an anniversary giveaway with many wonderful prizes and even some of her patterns so be sure to head on over to visit with her , you will love her work and be sure to sign up to follow her , you don't want to miss out on any future postings .
  Our quilt guild is having a challenge this year , it is our tenth anniversary so we are challenged to make something with ten , it can be ten of anything , ten blocks , well ten of whatever your little old heart desires so after much thought I came up with a plan . I am making a banner for my sewing room , I have made these ten spools and will then add some lettering, haven't quite decided on the title of my room just yet , Sheila's Quilt World or just Sheila's Studio  but for now my spools are ready and waiting for me to sew them together and on to plan B.

 As you know I am taking part in building houses with Terry of Terry's Treasures and this month is orange and I made two blocks , the required number each month but I just was not happy with the real orange block so have made a third block to replace the bright orange block and I like this much better .
I have also decided I will have the same grass area on all the houses to try to tie them all together .
 I know this post is getting a little long but I just want to close off with this sunset from Friday evening , the calm before the storm I guess , it was magnificent .
 Thanks for stopping by , hope you have a wonderful day and be sure to head on over to visit with Annette and sign up for her great giveaway .
hugs Sheila

18 comments:

  1. Nice to hear from you Sheila. We got the same storm here...but more snow on the ground; it sounds. High winds last night drifted our driveway in ...hubby has just gone out to plough.

    Your projects all look wonderful. Especially your leaves...nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love to hear about all your projects! I particularly love the spools...my goal is to make a spool mini-quilt. You inspire me! It's funny, but I also took a picture of the sunset on Friday night ...it was a blaze of color!
    Thanks for sharing your great projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a sweet candle mat and a beautiful sunset!

    ReplyDelete
  4. nice projects you are working on Sheila.
    Your spools are looking good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you sure have been busy. seeing your spools makes me think I should get my butt in gear and make a few too.Thanks for sharing about my Anniversary Give Away. I wish everyone luck in the draw and welcome any new followers to stopo by and see what I am up to out on the prairies
    in stitches

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the candle mat - and great to get a mug as a bonus from the scraps !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your projects are great Sheila. I love the spools. You have been very budy

    ReplyDelete
  8. The candle mat is pretty. Great idea for your mug rug. The spools look great & the sunset is gorgeous. Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
  9. lovely projects Sheila,well done.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your little spools! Nice house too! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely design on the candle mat and I like what you did with the scraps. The spools will make a great sign for your room. You have been getting a lot done :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful sewing and wow what a sunset. I particularly love your spools.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely projects Sheila. The colours of the candle mat are so pretty together. And what an inspirational sunset. Makes you want to raid your stash for another project!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So many beautiful projects, I really love the candle mat, it's a wonderful shape and pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  15. The candle mat is gorgeous. Love the shape of this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love your spool blocks! So great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You've been busy!!! Gorgeous projects!!! Love your little house block. It's going to be so pretty when you're done!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love your spools! I've been meaning to make some for my sewing room too! so cute.

    ReplyDelete