Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Tuesdays Treasures

It is time to share our treasures with our hostess Melody of The house on the Side of the Hill ,it is such fun sharing our treasures .My treasure today is Winter , yes this may come as a surprise to some as our winters can be cold and snowy but there is so much beauty in winter and since we can't escape the fact that winter means snow why not embrace it and see the beauty it holds .
 Do you see how the trees cast a shadow in the snow , so pretty and if you were to look closely you would see deer tracks heading to the apple trees , they sure have been visiting often these days and I am thrilled each and every time we see them. Also just look at the skies  they are so different in winter .Here is another view from another direction,ok blogger is not allowing me to load a picture so I will try in a moment .In the mean time let me tell you why I love winter , maybe because it brings back so many lovely memories of my childhood. There were many days we would be building forts in our backyard and having snowball fights or making snow angels , that was always fun. Then on other occasions my friends and I would walk through the woods to our special little pond which we lovingly called the "Frog Pond "and we would spend hours gliding through the various paths between trees skating our day away .It was about a km walk through the woods along a path we created over the years and we would carry our skates on our shoulders and when we arrived would sit on a snowbank and put on our skates sometimes your feet would be so cold you wondered how you would skate but they soon thawed out with the physical activity and we loved every second we spent there ,I often wonder if it is still there . My Dad had harness racing horses when we were very young and in winter he would take us ,along with our friends in the neighborhood for a sleigh ride , we would bundle under some blankets to keep warm and would be singing and laughing  as Samba pulled us along through the back roads , I wish I could repeat that today . You know I mentioned the other day to Bill how much I love the look of a horse in winter , their very heavy coat just is wonderful to me and I want to go run my fingers through it :-)
A view from the other side of our house , I love those clouds , it is going to be a nice day , the sun is shining and the fields are sparkling like diamonds. And just look at our bird feeders this morning , it was really cold early today so I am sure they were happy to find some food set out for them.
The nyger feeder had no room left , I don't think I have ever seen so many at one time, the gold finch and common  redpoll visit that feeder and in the larger feeder there are Evening Grosbeak ,I am so happy to have them this year ,they eat a lot but they are a delight to see . Bill put a couple of fir trees on the deck so the birds have a place to land and they seem to love that. Last evening I was visiting Fiona's blog and seen the lovely birds that visit her garden and feeders which   are so exotic and beautiful , our little visitors are much less exotic but still a delight to see and it is mostly in winter we have this privilege as in the warmer months they can fend for themselves.
  Then there are the gorgeous sunsets you get in winter , incredible skies !! So thanks for visiting and I know many are suffering from the heat so maybe these photos of the cold snow will cool you off for a short while .It was -25C yesterday with the windchill but today it is going to be a balmy +6 so a delightful winters day .
hugs Sheila



25 comments:

  1. Thanks for this post - I needed it today. I'm one of those who doesn't appreciate winter, but I'm probably just looking at it wrong. Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful post, fab photographs too.

    Fiona x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Winter is beautiful, but I think I've enjoyed it enough already. Can we have spring now? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful photos of your Winter...
    Just what we need down under to cool us down.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice pictures Sheila.....this has been a perfect winter so far. We just got in from snowshoeing...going out every day that is decent. Marla stops by and goes with us...It is so very pretty in the woods right now.
    Thanks for stopping by today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What beautiful pictures of winter and snow - we only "do" RAIN here in the UK!!!! No snow or even a hard frost yet this winter so your pics are really enticing

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. It doesn't snow where I live.
    A white snowy Winter is really wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos are gorgeous---love seeing the snow. We used to get snow every winter but not anymore...and I miss it. I also love watching the birds. Thanks for sharing these 'treasures' with us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your winters are beautiful, it all looks like picture postcards! I cannot imagine being anywhere so cold but it is lovely to look at!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely photos! Isn't it wonderful having bird feeders? Although we have to trim back any trees around ours, otherwise the squirrel eats all the seed. As it is he claims the pile that falls to the ground under the feeder and chases away any birds that try to eat it. We have red polls this winter too and Grosbeaks. We call them Pine Grosbeaks. I wonder if they are the same as yours. Also three kinds of chickadees and two kinds of woodpecker and nuthatches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love winter too, it is very beautiful. We don't get snow here so your photos are just like picture postcards.
    Your childhood sounds so magical no wonder you love winter so.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish i had some of that snow. It's so hot here at the moment. Heat wave coming through & another expected next week. Hugs,xx.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I second Jeanettes comment...do you think you could send some in the post LOL. I love seeing birds in the garden. Your photos are beautiful and I loved going along with you down memory lane and visiting your childhood winters. Thanks for sharing a real treasure. Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. It is so pretty Sheila.. no wonder you treasure your Winters...
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for the cooling down effect Sheila. I love the cold and prefer to be rugged up rather than trying to keep cool. Your photos are lovely and your story even lovelier. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful memories, Sheila, and your pictures are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. fantastic photos, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful photos! I could almost feel the cool, crisp air!! Stay warm. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such beautiful photos, Sheila. I love winter and the cold so I'm sure I'd enjoy the snow and ice.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sheila, your photos are divine! I love the look of your winter, ours are simply damp. No fun at all!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sheila you live in such a pretty world. And the trip down memory lane was delightful. I can picture being there in the sleigh.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your pictures are so beautiful. We love it when it snows here. Some years we get no snow and it is disappointing.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sheila,
    I was reading blogs the other night and I was going to read your post but I was interrupted. I love snowy winters even though we don't get much here in North Carolina.
    I just love the photos and enjoyed reading about your snowy memories.
    thanks for sharing your treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for your great comment on the snowmen Sheila

    ReplyDelete